Participants work with coaches at their host schools during the first three years of the program. Like our faculty, our coaches are experienced K-12 classroom teachers, as well as experts in their content areas and in adult learning. Urban Teachers even has some of its most experienced alumni now serving as coaches!
Urban Teachers believes that excellent teachers develop over time through engagement in quality coaching. The three-year coaching program at Urban Teachers provides repeated opportunities for participants to:
- Continuously improve their teaching practice,
- Demonstrate responsiveness to feedback for growth,
- Engage in goal-setting and reflective practices,
- Articulate the specific ways in which their relationships with PreK-12 students impact the life outcomes of the children that they serve,
- Intentionally cultivate the asset-based, bias-free mindset necessary for implementing inclusive, culturally relevant teaching, and
- Develop the professional habits and productive dispositions which are befitting the profession.
OUR COACHING ACTIVITIES
Watch a quick introduction to coaching by Dionn Brown, the Executive Director of Curriculum & Professional Development at Urban Teachers!
The coaching program at Urban Teachers provides differentiated opportunities for practice through real-time, cognitive, one-on-one, and professional learning community-based (PLC-based) coaching. See the image below for examples:
For a deeper dive, we invite you to: