Urban Teachers sets demanding, high standards for participants. Urban Teachers expects participants to conduct themselves as consummate professionals in all program settings including but not limited to their schools, coursework, coaching activities, and other program events. Participants are expected to uphold the integrity, mission, and vision of the Urban Teachers program in their conduct as professional educators. Conduct that occurs outside of a program setting that would call into question a participant's professionalism or character is also subject to this policy. Conduct that violates Urban Teachers' professional conduct expectations renders a participant subject to disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal from the Urban Teachers program. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct that is incompatible with the integrity, mission, vision, or values of the Urban Teachers program.
- Conduct that disrupts or interferes with the orderly functioning of the Urban Teachers program (for example, insubordination or refusal to complete a program requirement, physical altercations, or threatening behavior).
- Disrespectful or demeaning communication to or related to students, their families, colleagues, and the communities we serve.
- Violations of Urban Teachers, American University, state, or school district policies and rules (including the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics).
- The physical or emotional abuse of any person or any words or actions that threaten physical or emotional harm or endanger the physical or emotional well-being, health or safety of any person.
- The use or consumption of alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, or controlled substances on school property at any time, during school activities, when students are present, during coursework, during Urban Teachers professional development, or during coaching activities, whether in-person or virtual.
- Conduct that results in charge, investigation, or conviction for a felony, misdemeanor, or other criminal charge other than a minor traffic charge.