New teachers are required by Urban Teachers and the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) to complete a pre-professional test prior to the start of a teacher preparation program. However, this requirement can be fulfilled by submitting qualifying scores from previous exams. In DC, you can submit qualifying SAT, ACT, GRE OR Praxis Core scores. Acceptable exams and passing scores are listed below. If you plan on submitting SAT or ACT scores, DC still requires you to take the Praxis Core Writing exam (#5723). If you do not have previous scores to report or if your scores do not meet the threshold, you must take the Praxis Core Combined (#5752) exam.
Candidates who have earned a final undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 do not need to submit passing Praxis Core exam scores for program admission. Urban Teachers must receive your final undergraduate transcript showing your conferred Bachelor’s degree and your final semester grades, to verify your eligibility to bypass the Praxis Core requirement.
All candidates must complete the DC entrance exam requirement to remain eligible to join our 2023 Cohort.
- Candidates (accepted prior to May 1st) must complete their testing and enrollment steps by May 8th, 2023
- Candidates (accepted on or after May 1st) must complete their testing steps by May 15th, 2023
After a candidate accepts their offer to join the upcoming cohort, the Cultivation team will collect qualifying scores, review their transcript, and if necessary, work with the candidate to schedule and pass their Praxis Core exam(s). Your individual Testing & Enrollment Deadline will correspond to your application window to ensure entrance exam requirements are complete before the deadline.
You will work with your Resident Onboarding Specialist to create a test plan within two weeks of signing your Letter of Intent (offer letter) from Urban Teachers.
We require candidates take these exams by their assigned testing and enrollment deadline to ensure they have time to get their results, and retake the exam if necessary.
Acceptable Tests and Passing Scores: All testing options are provided on the ETS website.
If you have qualifying SAT, ACT, GRE or Praxis Core scores, you should submit them. Be sure your report includes your full name, the exam name and date as well as your scores.
The Cultivation Team will review your scores and reach out to you with next steps.
If your scores meet the requirement, you will need to submit an official copy of your score report. If your scores do not meet the requirement, you will need to schedule and complete the Praxis Core: Combined (#5723) exam by the date outlined in your testing plan.
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT?
Applicants must submit one electronic copy, or two copies of an official paper transcript, to Urban Teachers. These should be submitted once the applicant has graduated, and their degree has been conferred. Applicants can:
- Email electronic copies of their official transcript to Reale Snorton (email@example.com)
- Send two paper copies of their official transcript to:
8 Market Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
HOW DO I ACCESS AN OFFICIAL COPY OF MY SCORE REPORT?
- Free Online Official Copy: You can access an electronic copy of your scores for free from your GRE account and download Test Taker Score Report pdf (sample).
SAT: You can use either option below to order valid official SAT scores.
- Free Online Official Copy: You may be able to access an electronic copy of your scores for free from your CollegeBoard account. Log into your CollegeBoard account, and click your name in the top right corner. Then click mySAT. Scroll down to "My Scores" and click on "View Score Sends". On the top right, click download report for a pdf copy of your scores.
- Order a Paper Copy: You must call to order a paper copy of your official SAT scores to be sent to your own address for $12 per entity (there is an additional $31 fee for a rush order). The SAT line is 1-866-756-7346. You will be prompted to answer a series of verification questions about your home address, high school, SSN, etc. Scores should be sent within 5-7 business days for rush orders or 14 business days for regular orders.
- Order Electronic Copy: You can order an electronic copy of your ACT scores to be sent directly to Urban Teachers by using the 2808 code, for a $15 fee.
HOW DO I SIGN UP FOR THE PRAXIS CORE?
Create an account and register for your test here. During registration, be sure to include the Urban Teachers Code (DC - #5950) so your scores are sent directly to our team.
ARE EXAMS OFFERED VIRTUALLY?
Yes. Praxis Core exams are offered in-person as well as virtually. Click here for more information on taking the test at home.
HOW MUCH DOES THE EXAM COST?
The Praxis Core: COMBINED EXAM (#5723) is $150 (or $90 per exam if taken separately). You must take and pass the Praxis Core Reading, Writing, and Mathematics exams. You can choose to complete the exam in either one sitting (combined test #5752) or separately (Reading - #5713, Writing - #5723, and Mathematics - #5733).
DOES URBAN TEACHERS OFFER FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR THE EXAM REQUIREMENT?
Upon request, Urban Teachers provides vouchers for exam registration and one retake if necessary. To request a voucher, please submit this form.
ETS offers fee waivers for Praxis Core for individuals that qualify, but this process could take 1-2 months. For more information on requirements and deadlines, use this link.
WHAT TEST PREPARATION RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE?
Khan Academy: Now available! This new, free, online resource will help you build the reading, writing and mathematics skills you need to succeed on the Praxis® Core tests.
Urban Teachers’ Prep for Praxis Core Math includes a wide range of free instructional resources offered on one easy-to-use platform, including instructional videos, practice tests, and sample questions all related to the content of the mathematics portion of the Praxis Core exam.
Other Resources: We also recommend that you review practice questions and study materials before taking the test. The resources below are all free.
- Praxis Study Companion for Reading, Writing, and Math.
- Free Comprehensive Study Guide
- In-Depth Prep Courses in Reading, Writing, and Math
- Free Practice Tests for Reading, Writing, Math
- Free Skill Building Exercises for English and Math(Scroll down to the bolded heading)
- Free Practice Test
WHAT IF I NEED TO RETAKE MY EXAM?
If you do not pass any of the sections of the Praxis Core exam, you can sign up to retake it. You only need to retake the portion that you did not pass. You must wait 28 days, not including your initial test date, before ETS.org allows you to take the exam again. During that time, we recommend you complete practice exams from Khan Academy, and review the test preparation materials provided by Urban Teachers.
Article is closed for comments.