The Texas Education Agency (TEA) is the state agency that oversees primary and secondary public education in the state of Texas. It helps deliver education to more than five (5) million students. The mission of the TEA is to provide leadership, guidance and resources to help schools meet the educational needs of all students and prepare them for success in the global economy.
TEA, under the leadership of the commissioner of education, carries out the following functions:
- Administers the distribution of state and federal funding to public schools;
- Administers the statewide assessment program and accountability system;
- Provides support to the State Board of Education (SBOE) in the development of the statewide curriculum;
- Assists the SBOE in the instructional materials adoption process and managing the instructional materials distribution process;
- Administers a data collection system on public school information;
- Performs the administrative functions and services of the State Board for Educator Certification;
- Supports agency operations, including carrying out duties related to the Permanent School Fund; and
- Monitors for compliance with certain federal and state guidelines.