Urban Teachers participants are eligible to receive the following:
- A total first-year compensation of at least $28,000.
- Required books and materials for the two years that participants are enrolled in the AU master’s degree program.
- Room and board at in-person Summer Institute during the first summer of the program (Summer A). After that, housing is the responsibility of the participant (that is, during the Residency year and beyond).
- Individual health insurance during the Residency year. (See below for additional information regarding the American University health insurance plan.)
- While enrolled in the master’s degree program, participants are eligible for free and confidential counseling and wellness services. Read more about the full range of student support services available to participants here.
Residents who are not employed by their district or CMO will receive a stipend during their Residency year (Program Year 1) of at least $28,000. Residents who are employed by their district or CMO during their Residency year (i.e., as a teaching assistant or educational aide) are paid a salary directly by the school system.
Urban Teachers will disburse stipends on a monthly basis through Residency year, in equal installments. These will only be disbursed to participants currently enrolled in the program on the date of disbursement. The total number of disbursals and the timing of each monthly disbursal is determined by the site Executive Director and disbursals are distributed accordingly. All participants must complete an IRS W-9 Form to receive the stipend.
AU STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE
Enrollment in American University’s Student Health Insurance plan is voluntary for students participating in the Urban Teachers Program if students have alternate insurance coverage (e.g. through their school district, parents, partners, etc). Urban Teachers will pay the health insurance premiums for all Residents without comparable coverage. Please view the Student Health Insurance website for more information.
Current information about the Aetna plan can be found here https://american.myahpcare.com/. Participants may purchase dental and vision insurance, as well as health insurance for a spouse, domestic partner, or dependents through American University. Urban Teachers will not cover the additional cost of these plans.
Insurance Information for Summer A
AU offers a summer-only coverage period from May 1–July 31, 2023. After students have registered for at least one credit, students may voluntarily enroll in the summer health insurance plan using the AU Voluntary Enrollment Form between April 10–May 31, 2023.
Academic Year Insurance Information
Students who would like to continue their coverage after July 31, 2023 will need to complete another voluntary enrollment form for health insurance coverage for the period of Aug 1, 2023–July 31, 2024. These Voluntary Enrollment Form must be submitted no later than September 11, 2023. Students must be enrolled in fall coursework in order to enroll in the annual plan. Note: If students have a qualifying life event after September 11, students may still be able to qualify for academic year coverage.