Urban Teachers residents complete approximately nine (9) weeks of student teaching as a part of the clinical field experiences during the first year in the program. Residents are expected to implement the content and skills developed through their coursework and clinical experiences in a comprehensive manner within the host classrooms.
1st Semester (2 weeks)
- August/September – 2 days in host classroom
- October – 3 days in host classroom
- November/December – 1 week (5 days) in host classroom
2nd Semester (7 weeks)
- January – 2 weeks (10 days) in host classroom
- March through June – 5 weeks (25 days) in host classroom - at least 3 weeks (15 days) must be consecutive
Classroom observations – Residents will be observed at least four (4) times over the course of the fall semester at the residency site, including:
- Two (2) comprehensive coaching cycle visits, and
- Two (2) focused observations.
- The student teaching segments can occur at any time in the windows indicated above.
- The host teacher is expected to support the resident in the planning process and will be observing regularly so that the host teacher and resident can debrief together daily around the following areas:
- lesson implementation
- student engagement
- classroom management
- planning next steps
- The Urban Teachers Site Team must be informed of the weeks scheduled for student teaching so that observations can be planned.
- Regularly scheduled coursework must be attended as usual throughout all student teaching experiences. Residents will not be excused from coursework during student teaching.