AmeriCorps engages more than 75,000 Americans in intensive service each year through partnerships with nonprofits, schools, public agencies, community and faith-based groups across the country. AmeriCorps Members help communities tackle pressing problems while mobilizing millions of volunteers for the organizations they serve. Urban Teachers was named an AmeriCorps Affiliate in May 2016. As an AmeriCorps Affiliate, Urban Teachers is connected to a powerful national service network with expertise and resources to share. Urban Teachers participants can become AmeriCorps Affiliate Members, fulfilling the service goals of AmeriCorps and connecting to the broader, national service movement.
AmeriCorps Term and Award Eligibility
Urban Teachers participants may enroll as AmeriCorps Affiliate Members considering they have not fulfilled the maximum allowable terms of service. A term of service is defined as any amount of time an individual is enrolled in and then exited from an AmeriCorps program. Individuals can serve a maximum of four terms of service in AmeriCorps State and National programs in their lifetime. Individuals may also only receive the aggregate value of two full-time Segal education awards in their lifetime.
Eligibility Example: If you have already received two full-time Segal awards by serving with CityYear or Reading Partners, you would not be able to receive a third Segal award by serving as an AmeriCorps Affiliate Member with Urban Teachers. While you would be ineligible for the Segal award, you could still enroll as an AmeriCorps Affiliate Member and benefit from loan deferral, assuming you have not fulfilled four terms of service.
AmeriCorps Affiliate Member Benefits
- Education Award: AmeriCorps Affiliate Members may be endorsed to receive a Segal Education award, approximately $6,000, upon successful completion of Urban Teachers and AmeriCorps requirements (see Section III below). This award can be used to pay tuition to Johns Hopkins University or to pay down publicly-issued student loans. AmeriCorps Affiliate Members may obtain a maximum of two full-time Segal awards, approximately $12,000 during the Urban Teachers program. AmeriCorps financial benefits are dependent on Congressional appropriations and Urban Teachers’ Affiliate status. As such, these benefits are not guaranteed year to year.
Using Your Award: Segal awards can pay current educational expenses at higher education institutions that participate in Title IV student aid programs. Segal awards can also repay public loans that are backed by the federal government or a state agency. Segal awards expire seven years from the date they are earned. For more information on using the Segal award, please click here.
- Loan Forbearance: AmeriCorps Affiliate Members do not have to make student payments on public loans while enrolled in AmeriCorps.
- Interest Accrual Payment: AmeriCorps Affiliate Members can access separate AmeriCorps funds to pay off the interest that accumulated on their public student loans while in forbearance.
- Access to AmeriCorps Alums: AmeriCorps Affiliate Members may register for AmeriCorps Alums at no cost. AmeriCorps Alums is a national network of nearly one million alumni of all AmeriCorps programs that offers resources for professional development, career networking, and community service activities. To learn more about AmeriCorps Alums, please click here.
AmeriCorps Affiliate Member Requirements
Urban Teachers endorses AmeriCorps Affiliate Members for the Segal award in June of each service year. Members are expected to fulfill all requirements in each of the three categories below, but must complete the AmeriCorps and Urban Teachers requirements at a minimum during the service year to receive a full endorsement.
AmeriCorps Requirements: These requirements are outlined in the Urban Teachers Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with AmeriCorps and are mandated by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) for Affiliate Programs.
- Be a US citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien.
- Successfully pass a National Sex Offender Public Website check.
- Complete a minimum of 1,700 service (clinical) and training (coursework) hours during the service year.
- Attend an AmeriCorps orientation.
- Complete and submit necessary forms (Enrollment, Exit, Performance Reviews, etc).
- Refrain from participation in AmeriCorps Prohibited Activities.
Urban Teachers Requirements: These requirements are at the discretion of Urban Teachers and have been carefully selected as appropriate benchmarks for a Segal award endorsement.
- Pass all Johns Hopkins University courses taken during the service year.
- Participate in the required coaching treatment during the service year.
- Refrain from egregious incidents of unprofessionalism or misconduct that would result in immediate dismissal from the Urban Teachers program.
Performance Monitoring Requirements: These requirements are at the discretion of Urban Teachers and are primarily for bi-annual reporting on AmeriCorps performance measures.
- Perform a minimum of two days of community service.
- Confirm attendance at school placement to verify the 1,700-hour minimum.